Fortville United Methodist Church
St. Thomas (originally St. John's)
Christian Church Fortville
Fortville Nazarene Church
Gillum Chapel, McCordsville
McCordsville Methodist Episcopal Church
McCordsville Methodist Episcopal Church
Sept. 10, 1922
Methodist Episcopal Church – Before 1856, the church held its services in a log building where Fort Cemetery is now, but it was called Staat’s cemetery and church back then. The congregation changed their name to Fortville Methodist Episcopal Church and tore the log building down in 1856. They moved from location to location for three years until 1859 when frame church was built on the corner of Church and School Street. The building was raised and enclosed, but only the basement was finished for worship services. It stayed like this until 1865 when Reverend M. Teague pushed to finish the structure and the upper room was completed. This expense created a heavy debt that the Reverend John S. McCarty paid off by selling his own horse and saddle in order to save the church from the disgrace of being sold.
The main church edifice was begun by the Reverend George H. Myers the day after Christmas in 1900. The corner stone was laid on July 25, 1901. The work was completed and dedicated on March 23, 1902 by Reverend Dr. J. W. Bashford. (See the pdf below for images taken from the original dedication program!)
St. John’s Catholic Church – The first frame structure of the church was built in 1869 overseen by Rev. Father D. J. McMullen of Indianapolis. Before that time, parishioners met in homes of other members. Services were conducted by visiting priests until 1877 when the Franciscan monastery of Indianapolis was given charge of the congregation. The first regular pastor was the Rev. father Arsenius Fable, O. F. M. The church was called St. Thomas in honor of the late Thomas Tobin who worked tirelessly for the completion of the first church.
Click here to view more St. Thomas the Apostle Catholic Church history.
Christian Church – The Christian Church at Fortville was organized on August 6, 1871 by John Rash and his wife from Alfont, IN, A. Ferrell and his wife from Kentucky, and L. W. Crouch from Tennessee. The first church building was built by L.W. Crouch, and the dedication was June 3, 1872. The brick structure was completed in 1900 by Mr. Fatout and dedicated by J.F. Rains.
Nazarene Church – The Nazarene congregation built their church in 1916.
New Life Christian Fellowship - The New Life Church began on Main Street in Fortville on January 1993. At first, as few as twelve people gathered to worship. Eight years later, as many as 150 people came to the church. By September of 2000, two worship services were needed, and talk began about building a more permanent church.
On October 21, 2001, New Life broke ground on Phase One of their new church building on State Road 234, just east of Mt. Vernon Schools. The church is a 10,000 square foot building that is able to seat 300 worshippers for services and has one dozen class rooms.
Methodist Episcopal Church (Gillum Chapel) – In 1849, a group of people met at a school house for worship. The first building was completed in 1854 and located on the present-day northwest corner of Mt. Comfort Road and Hwy 67, or on the other side of the road from the current church building. The church was dedicated by Rev. N.H. Gillum and named Gillum chapel in his honor. The old chapel was dilapidated in a storm on June 25, 1902. A new building was planned that would be farther away from the Big Four railroad. The congregation bought some of Bradley and McCord’s original town lots, and erected the present Methodist Episcopal Church in 1902, dedicated by Rev. W.D. Parr. The land just west of the original Gillum chapel is now a cemetery called Gillum Chapel Cemetery whose first interment was Oliver Robb, Sr. on May 22, 1854.
- History of Hancock County, Indiana, Its People, Industries and Institutions. George J. Richman. B. L., Federal Publishing Co., Indianapolis: IN, 1916.
- Community Shopper. Fortville, IN. Tuesday, November 6, 2001. Vol. 23, No. 37, pg.1